07th Jan 2019 –
Or, if your content’s purpose is to drive traffic to a landing page, you could use that as your call-to-action and use Convert.com to split-test your landing pages for maximum effectiveness and conversions.
Content promotion is evolving partly due to the emergence of new tech capabilities, shifts in algorithms, and ever-more distracted audiences. With these changes, content marketers need to be even more informed on the best practices for promoting content, and simultaneously be relentless in the pursuit of traffic and engagement. With that in mind, here are the top content promotion strategies and best practices for 2019.
Audience Building Through Influencer Marketing
Only through genuine, value-rich content will you capture your audience’s attention and trust. Be tactful, and make an extra effort not to talk about your product or your company too much. Instead, focus on helping or informing your target audience. If they’re interested in what you have to say, then you can share a link or put your company or product information in your bio.
If you’re looking to take advantage of the influencer gravy train, follow these steps:
- Find notable influencers who are relevant to your niche by using a tool like Ahrefs or Buzzsumo. If you want to skip the software route, you could also search for relevant hashtags on Twitter or Instagram to find influencers with high engagement on their posts.
- Use a tool like Mailshake to create your influencer outreach email templates and automate your follow-ups for maximum coverage. In the template, you can ask questions about their followers, their engagement rate, and even ask about desired compensation.
- Then, come to terms with your influencers on what content they will share, how transparent they’ll be about the partnership, and the exact compensation they can expect to receive.
Remember, if you want your content to truly resonate and break through all the noise, it has to be creative, high quality, and insightful. Push your content through to your email marketing list, republish and repurpose your content on other sites, focus on visual content on your social media channels, and enlist influencers to help get the word out. Do all that, and your content will be in the spotlight in no time.
Social Media Promotion
When it comes to promoting your content via email, it’s always best to end on a call-to-action. It could be as simple as asking the recipient to share it with colleagues, friends, and family.
It’s also worth asking for a quote from notable influencers that you can use in an article. Doing so makes your content richer, more unique, and makes asking them to share the article easier.
Before sending out those emails, make sure you use a tool like VoilaNorbert to verify your list is clean and up to date. Otherwise, your emails can get kicked back, and as a result, your sender score will drop and make you more susceptible to getting blacklisted and trapped in spam filters.
- Mention or tag those quoted in the content on your post to expand sharing potential.
- Use relevant hashtags to amplify your content since people often search specific hashtags on social media channels for interesting content.
- Put your social media content promotion efforts on autopilot using apps like Buffer, which schedule social media posts in advance for you.
- Respond to all comments on your posts. People want to engage with your brand or content, and will continue to do so if you carry on a good conversation or reshare their content.
The soaring use of ad blockers, DVRs, and a decline in TV viewership has seriously rattled traditional marketing. Content marketing, in particular, has seen a shift in the past few years due to these marketing evolutions, and as a result, will need extra attention in an ever-changing and noisy world.
With generic blogging in decline, your content needs to be repurposed across other mediums for maximum effectiveness. Publishing content on sites like Medium, LinkedIn Publishing, and Reddit can be a great way to reach a wider audience.
Marketing your content via email still reigns supreme in 2019. In fact, email marketing delivers an average return-on-investment of for every spent. That’s a jaw-dropping 4400% ROI. So it goes without saying that you should be email blasting your list of followers when any new content drops to maximize its exposure and get the best bang for your buck.
Using social media for content promotion is a staple that isn’t going away anytime soon. Before you do anything, though, you need to make sure you’re not wasting your efforts on the wrong channel. Is your target audience on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram? Or maybe they’re most active on LinkedIn, Reddit, YouTube, Snapchat or some other channel you’re not aware of yet.
Republish Content In Different Formats Or Channels
Big business advertisers and content marketers are quickly seeing influencer marketing as one of the most effective forms of advertising today, and for the foreseeable future. A study by Collective Bias found that as many as 70% of millennials are influenced by the recommendations of their peers in buying decisions. There are a multitude of ways to build an audience and drive engagement, especially when using influencer marketing on Instagram, Twitter, or YouTube.
What content promotion strategies do you see trending up and to the right in 2019?
After finding the right channels through market research and testing, focus your efforts there and leave the other channels alone. Next, make sure you lead with visual content. Text-based posts pale in comparison to striking images and videos – In fact, emails that include a graphic of some sort see higher open (27.12% vs. 20.24%) and click-through (4.50% vs. 3.32%) rates than text-only versions. So use hero images from your content, memes, videos, infographics, or anything else to catch your audience’s attention.
Here are some other social media best practices for 2019: