This really does have to be first and foremost to consider when it comes to advertising your business. It’s a great way to stay connected with your customers, and you have the options to increase awareness by boosting posts or using Facebook ads.
There is only so much time in the day, especially as a business owner trying to have your name in a lot of other places on and offline. Now that you have the lay of the land, take a chance on starting or optimizing the social profile that is right for your business.
What is social media optimization?
This platform may be more important if you are a restaurant and want to save menus and recipes for example. Depending on your industry, this platform may not be worth the investment.
- Show up in platform search results
- Rank higher in your followers’ feeds
- Get quality engagement on your posts
- Send traffic to your website
- Maintain brand consistency
- Establish thought leadership
- Publish content your followers want to see
That’s why I’ve broken up these tools and tips by platform, so you can audit and optimize each based on their specific differences.
But unlike search engine optimization, which is pretty standard across Google and Bing, social media optimization has different best practices for each platform, making it a much bigger challenge.
Social media optimization on Facebook
It’s also a great way to embed some great content on your website and not slow it down!
Free Facebook optimization tools
More Snapchat optimization resources:
Free YouTube optimization tools
Instagram optimization tips
- Use all of the formats: To get the most out of Instagram, be sure to use posts, videos, Stories, Highlights, Reels, and Instagram live to maximize your exposure and engagement.
- Optimize your profile: In addition to ensuring your username is your business name (or as close as you can get it), you will want to optimize your bio with hashtags and important keywords.
- Hashtags, hashtags, hashtags: For real. Instagram hashtags are SO important. You can have up to 30 (although the platform would prefer you stay between the 8-14 range).
Tip: If you want to keep your post clean without all the hashtags, you can comment with all the hashtags you want to be found with as the first comment after you’ve posted. You will still be searched that way!
- Include alt text for your images. Yes, you heard me right. Alt text isn’t just for SEO-ing your website. You can also add those important keywords in the alt text of your Instagram post. Check out the advanced settings section of your post to update it.
- Highlight your products: Instagram has the largest influence on purchasing than any of the other platforms. This is the best social platform to showcase your products!
LinkedIn optimization tips
- Take advantage of banner image: Optimize your image with your company branding as well as promote your main product, service or an upcoming event your business is involved with.
- More than just a job title: Your headline should be about your brand and not about who you need to hire.
- Publish already optimized content: Sharing links is a big component of LinkedIn, so take advantage by sharing links back to your website but don’t forget articles as well to mix it up a bit.
- Customize your URL: They can be subject to availability, but it’s always worth a try to get your URL as close to your business name or main keyword you are trying to optimize for.
- CTA in your Page, not always your posts: You will want to have a call to action in your profile bio but pay close attention to too many “check this out” phrases as that could get users to scroll on.
Twitter optimization tips
- Hashtags, hashtags, hashtags: Unlike Instagram, you can only have so many hashtags per post, so choose wisely. They are still SO important!
- Include a trackable link: This can be a call to action or a featured product you want to have your users go to.
- Schedule your content: Since Twitter has shorter posts to begin with, it’s much easier to schedule the content out than the other social platforms.
- Reply back to all customers (happy or otherwise): Brands using Twitter for customer service see a 19% lift in customer satisfaction. It doesn’t hurt to stay in touch with your customers.
- Run digital events: Try getting your users engaged with events online. This is one of Twitter’s optimization tips for 2021. And don’t forget Twitter chats!
TikTok optimization tools
TikTok optimization tips
- Be casual: This is actually one of our top marketing strategies for 2021. You won’t necessarily want to be super uptight in these videos. Keep them short and concise. Let your audience get to know you a little bit more personally.
- Participate in hashtag challenges: I’m sure you have seen parents dancing with their kids in some of these challenges. Basically, take a look at some of the trending hashtag challenges on TikTok and decide which one you want do to!
- Link to other social profiles: Especially the visual ones like Instagram and YouTube.
- Include keywords in your bio: Do you see a pattern with all these keywords in your social profile?
- CTA in your bio: A call to action in your bio is key to optimizing your TikTok page.
Snapchat optimization tips
- Target your demographic: Optimizing your ads towards the users that might convert is a main way to optimize your Snapchat profile.
- Pay attention to audience insights: This is a great way to see which ads users are actually interested in so you can keep using them.
- Take advantage of creative testing: You have the ability to test different variations of creatives, which makes things easier for you as a business owner. If your ad doesn’t resonate with users, you could end up spending a higher cost per optimization event.
- Feature products: You can link to any product to help drive traffic to your website or online shopping site.
- Highlight events: Users tend to like to see events pop up to potentially attend. If you have an event coming up, you will want to showcase that. Geofilters can be useful for this.
Like search engine optimization, social media optimization encompasses a number of strategies, tools, and best practices used to get the highest quality exposure to and engagement with your target audience. Purposes of social media optimization include but are not limited to:
Social media optimization for Pinterest
With the growing momentum of people wanting to generally connect online, it’s no wonder that businesses spend about 15-25% of their advertising budget* on just social media. But organic social media marketing is just as important as paid efforts.
Pinterest optimization tools
Pinterest optimization tips
- Link images from your website. It’s a perfect platform to drive traffic back to your website. Unlike Facebook, users except to be redirected back to business’s websites.
- Try videos for your ads. Pinterest Video Ads are an opportunity to gain some new users to your profile and gain more interaction with your page.
- Use as an image search engine. Optimize your pins the way you might optimize a page of your website. Just make sure there is a picture included of course!
- Competitor research. Take a look at how your competitors are creating their profiles. This will go along way when you are creating your own profile.
- Organize your boards. Keep your boards clean and organized so your users are wanting to learn more about your business from your profile.
Paid or organic, it’s not enough to just set up your social profiles and let them sit there, essentially gaining virtual dust. Just like your website, you need to audit optimize your profiles to get the highest return on your investments of time, effort, and money.
- Category: eCommerce