9. Felix Baumgartner’s space jump holds the record for most concurrent views on YouTube with a viewership of 8 million (The Wrap).
“We still believe consumer attention is massively focused on search, social and marketplaces or retail media, but the biggest place that consumer attention has gone is obviously OTT and connected television.” (Source)
20. Consumers are 39% more likely to share content if it’s delivered through video (Forrester).
- General streaming video
- Streaming video audience behavior
- Streaming video for businesses
- Social media streaming video
- Mobile streaming video
- OTT streaming video
- Streaming video performance and optimization
Streaming video is an increasingly popular and effective way of reaching modern viewers and is the ideal choice for brands that want to engage potential customers.
37. The key phrase “Facebook live stream” saw a 330% increase in searches from 2016 to 2018 (Mediakix).
19. Demographics are no longer an accurate predictor of video consumption as the behavior of younger and older generations is starting to converge. 28% of older consumers (50+) have cut the cord, up from 19% in 2017 (PWC).
General streaming video statistics
5. Live content earns 27% more minutes of watch time per viewing, nearly 6 more minutes, at 24.41 minutes on average, for live video versus video on demand (slightly fewer than 18 minutes)(Conviva).
To prove it, we’ve compiled 50 streaming video statistics that you can use to develop your business strategy on: 6. Users watch live video 10 to 20 times longer than on-demand content, making live streaming a powerful way to deliver interactive content (Forrester).
10. Twitch is the biggest live streaming platform in the world if hours watched—9.3 billion hours in 2019—were the main criteria (StreamElements). 15. 47% of live streaming video viewers worldwide are streaming more live video compared with a year ago (IAB).
48. Online videos with a start-up time greater than two seconds have significantly higher streaming video abandonment rates, with each additional second prompting another 6% of viewers bounce (Akamai).
35. LinkedIn members spend almost 3x more time watching video ads compared to time spent with static Sponsored Content (Techcrunch).
23. 86 of the top 100 most-watched live telecasts in the United States in 2017 were sporting events — up from 48 in 2011 (Nielsen).
Streaming video audience behavior statistics
31. Around 50% of Twitter’s live video viewers are younger than 25 (Adweek).
49. Consumers have a low tolerance for a bad stream. For many, 90 seconds is the most a viewer will tolerate a spotty stream (Techradar).
46. For the first time, a higher percentage of US households subscribe to a streaming service (69%) than to traditional pay TV (65%) in 2021 (Deloitte).
26. While video can help convert customers already on a path to purchase, it also enables a retailer’s existing customers to bring friends and family into the fold — 48% of consumers have shared a brand video on their social media profile (Forrester).
4. The live streaming industry is expected to be valued at 4.3 billion by 2027 (Grand View Research).
42. OTT video services delivering average, poor-quality experiences are losing as much as 25% of their revenue (Verizon).
2. Video streaming rose 72.4% between Q1 2018 and Q1 2019 (Streaming Media).
Streaming video is gradually overtaking broadcast TV as the media of choice for many viewers, and for good reason. It’s convenient and offers much higher levels of interaction and engagement than TV or the theater.
8. Nearly 82% of all internet traffic will be video by 2022 (Cisco).
13. About 60% of young adults in the US primarily use online streaming to watch TV (Pew).
Streaming video for businesses statistics
21. 54% of consumers want to see more video content from businesses and brands they support (HubSpot).
24. Nearly half (42%) of people keep the cord (don’t cancel their cable) due to live TV. However, 30% of cable keepers said they would cut the cord if they knew they could stream all of their favorite live sports, events, and news (Adobe).
38. Video will make up 79% of all mobile traffic by 2022 (Cisco).
45. OTT revenues, which include ad-led video on demand, pay-per-view and subscription video on demand, will grow from billion in 2016 to reach .4 billion in five years’ time (Digiday).
– Zach Morrison, CEO, Tinuiti
28. Consumer spending on subscription streaming grew 30% in the first nine months of 2018, projecting that consumers will have spent nearly .3 million on subscription streaming, or SVOD (subscription video-on-demand) (DEG).
43. Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu alone are expected to triple their combined content investments by 2022 (IBC).
34. According to LinkedIn, video ads earn 30% more engagement than non-video ads (Techcrunch).
1. The online live streaming industry has grown 99% between April 2019 and April 2020 (Daily eSports).
18. U.S. adults now spend nearly 6 hours per day watching video. The span (5:57) represents an 11-minute increase in video consumption, with 6 of those 11 minutes from TV-connected devices (Nielsen).
27. Nearly 80% of marketers recognize video (including TV, digital video, social video, and OTT video) as an increasingly important medium (4CInsights).
Social media streaming video statistics
44. 36% of viewers reported that OTT or online video was the go-to source for entertainment, up from 29% in 2017 (Hub).
25. In 2018, brands spent more than billion on video content. By 2023, that number is expected to rise to more than 0 billion (Forrester).
12. 55% of Twitch users are aged 18-34 (Influencer Marketing Hub).
39. Video could make up as much as 90% of all 5G traffic (Intel).
29. In Q3 of 2018, ad views on live streaming grew 56% (Freewheel).
40. 29% of consumers would pay a premium if 5G provided “better quality video” on mobile devices and “decreased buffering while streaming video” (PWC).
17. 42% of the population in the U.S. have now live-streamed online content — a significant rise from 25% in 2017 (Nielsen).
Mobile streaming video statistics
50. Consumers struggle with finding video content: only 12% say they are able to find content on streaming platforms easily (PwC).
11. Twitch has more than 15 million unique daily visitors and 3 million content creators/broadcasters as well as 500,000+ active daily streamers (VentureBeat).
41. User-generated content accounts for 51% of live video content streamed on mobile (State of Digital Publishing).
32. Facebook has paid out over million to publishers and celebrities to use Facebook Live (The Wall Street Journal).
OTT streaming video statistics
33. Daily watch time for Facebook Live broadcasts grew four times over the course of a year (Facebook).
3. Live video is expected to grow 15-fold by 2022 and reach a 17% share of all internet traffic (Cisco).
47. Netflix added more paid subscribers than ever in the first quarter of 2019 adding 9.6 million subscribers between January and March, bringing its subscriber total to 148.9 million by the end of the quarter (Statista).
22. 2019 Coachella was the live music event with the highest live viewership at 82.9 million live views (Variety).
14. China’s live-streaming industry has more than 425 million users (CX Tech News).
30. In 2019, 55% of companies used live video for their commercial broadcasts (Haivision).
Streaming video performance statistics
36. Digital marketers expect to invest most in creating Instagram Stories (66%) and news feed videos (62%). B2B marketers prioritized newsfeed videos while B2C marketers emphasized Instagram stories (Mondo).
7. Consumers spend almost 83 minutes per day consuming digital video, growing to 92 minutes by 2020 (eMarketer).
16. 44% of live streaming video viewers said they watch less live TV as a result of live streaming (IAB).