- A lovely first or last name.
- Who it’s gonna be, according to N’Sync.
- An expression of possibility or permission.
- A month bursting with creative and compassionate marketing opportunities
Star Wars Day simply can’t be ignored with its rising popularity. Run a webinar or live stream on this day to help add some creativity to your copy.
First Monday of May
- A full list of May national days, awareness themes, and holidays.
- Over 60 free, easy, and creative marketing ideas around these themes.
- Real examples of blogs, social posts, events, and promotions to inspire you.
Thank you, as always, to National Day Calendar for supplying these days and dates!
Month-long observances in May
- Blood Pressure Education
- Brain Cancer/Tumor
- Celiac Disease
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Dental Care
- Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
- Employee Health and Fitness
- Lyme Disease
- Mediterranean Diet
- Melanoma/Skin Cancer
- Mental Health
- Sturge-Weber Syndrome
- Motorcycle Safety
- Water Safety
- Wildfire Awareness
First full week of May
- Jewish American Heritage
- Haitian Heritage
- Older Americans
- Asian American Heritage
- Pacific Islander Heritage
- Foster Care
- Military Appreciation
- Better Speech and Language
- International Drum Month
- Date Your Mate
- Chamber Music
- Get Caught Reading
Dedicated to raising awareness about small businesses and celebrating the hard-working owners behind them, this week will be packed with ample marketing opportunities. Here are some ways to make the best of National Small Business Week:
- American Cheese
May 2nd is Teacher Appreciation Day—a perfect time for preschools to market themselves to new parents in anticipation of the new school year.
Week-long May observances
Holidays and observances in May
Couldn’t get enough? We’ve got lots more May social media holidays and ideas here!
- Do some research and identify LGBT trailblazers in your geographic or industrial niche and write a blog post or social media fun fact post about them.
- Ask your audience to share older LGBT mentors and thought leaders in their lives.
- Raise awareness about the importance of taking care of LGBT elders who may still lack the care and support they need.
Jewish, Haitian, Asian & Pacific Island heritage month
You don’t see BIC writing limerick about its pens, do you?
- Consider learning about each of these groups and sharing your findings in a blog post or on social media.
- Interview a coworker, client, or friend who identifies with one of these groups on a topic relevant to your audience.
- Put a request out there to your network for individuals within those groups to write a guest post or share their experience about something with a dedicated hashtag.
National Silence the Shame Day
- Share eye-opening stats about mental illness in the United States (or the world).
- Share a few resources for those who are struggling with anxiety, depression, and other symptoms.
- Participate in #silencetheshame textathons and fundraisers like the one below.
Whatever you decide to do to promote your business in May, be sure to recap your events, promotions, and festivities in your next email newsletter or blog post so that those who missed out will want to join in the fun next year. Also, be sure to send follow-up emails to any new leads for your business. And during your campaigns, post real-time photos and user-generated content to encourage more participation.
National Barrier Awareness Day
- Use the #nationalbarrierawarenessday hashtag to post information, resources, and stats.
- Do an Instagram Story takeover by someone with a disability so they can share a day in the life.
- Ask your audience about their experiences with barriers and how they overcame them.
- National Interpreter Appreciation Day – first Wednesday in May
- Join Hands Day – First Saturday in May
- National Bombshells’ Day – First Saturday in May
- International Being You Day – annually on May 22
May marketing ideas for national weeks
National Small Business Week
Diversity and social awareness