Good Neighbor Day Fourth Sunday
September marketing ideas to celebrate diversity, equity & inclusion
Just One Human Family Day
Just One Human Family Day occurs every September 12 and it’s exactly what it sounds like. It’s a day to remember that no matter where we come from, what language we speak, what we look like, what our abilities and beliefs are, or how we identify ourselves— at the end of the day, we are all just one big human family living on this planet, all deserving of compassion from one another. You can incorporate this into your business marketing by:
- Sharing the collateral: Share the lyrics or the YouTube video of the song “We Share Just One Planet” on social.
- Do an earthly act of kindness: Reach out to someone and do something kind for them. Better yet, do something kind for the planet with them, like plant a tree or pick up trash.
- Swag: Sport the t-shirt or stickers to show your support and post on social.
Teddy Bear Day
American Business Women’s Day
Hug Your Hound Day – Second Sunday in September
- Compile a round-up: Find 10 women leading the way in your niche and write a round-up of them in a blog post. Tag them on social when you promote the post—they might share with their audience!
- Run a stat-themed sale: For example, women started 49% of new businesses in the US last year. Send out a promotional email offering 49% off of select products, or run a $49 special.
- Run a poll or quiz: Find some interesting stats about women in business and turn them into a poll or quiz or interactive post series for your followers. Like “What percentage of businesses are owned by women globally,” for example.
Hispanic Heritage Month
Compliance Officer Day
- Recognize Latinx influencers: Do some digging to find Latinx influencers or historical figures in your niche or neighborhood. Depending on their level of celebrity, share information about them, interview them, or spotlight them on social.
- Mark your calendar. The independence anniversaries of Latin American countries is the reason behind it’s start date. You can share a different fact or stat about each country on its respective day.
- September 15: El Salvador, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Honduras.
- September 16: Mexico
- September 18: Chile
- October 12: Dia de la Raza/Columbus Day
- Donate: Consider donating to the Hispanic Heritage Foundation, Latinos for Education, the Latino Equality Alliance, or other organization dedicated to Hispanic community support.
September marketing ideas for monthly awareness
Dance Day– Third Saturday in September
As promised, here’s the full list of September social media holidays, courtesy of National Day Calendar:
- Create a video with your own self-improvement tips.
- Share your favorite self-improvement books and ask your followers to comment back with theirs.
- Write blog posts on goal-setting or listicles like “X Ways to Improve Your [memory, credit score, leadership skills]” or “How to Improve Your [X] in 5 Minutes.”
- Run a 30-day challenge on Facebook or Instagram
Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
Boss/Employee Exchange Day – Monday after Labor Day
- Post eye-opening stats about childhood cancer on social media.
- Register your company for the Great Cycle Challenge and get your employees out on their bikes. Not only will you be fighting kid cancer, but you’ll be promoting good health and friendly competition among your employees. Encourage photo sharing so your audience can follow along throughout the month.
- Host a fundraiser and sell T-shirts to support a particular child or the cause in general.
Food Safety Month
Situational Awareness Day
Live Creative Day
Parents Day Off
CleanUp Day– Third Saturday In September
- Share your favorite hiking trails and ask your followers for theirs.
- Post photos from your own wilderness adventures.
- Share some eye-opening stats or a quote by John Muir.
Back to School Month
It comes as no surprise that September is National Self-Improvement Month. It’s the second new year of the year where people get back into their routines after summer. Here are some ideas for marketing around this evergreen topic:
September marketing ideas for holidays & national days
September 24 Boys’ and Girls’ Club Day for Kids – Third Saturday in September
Women’s Health & Fitness Day– Last Wednesday in September
Grandparent’s Day – Sunday after Labor Day
- Make it a day of service for your team.
- Display flags in and outside your store.
- Encourage your audience to take a moment of silence at the times of the attacks
College Colors Day – Friday before Labor Day
NFL Opening Night
Read A Book Day
- Engage customers on Facebook by asking about their favorite teams or running a trivia contest.
- Decorate your storefront, restaurant, or studio in team colors.
- Run a football-themed special.
- Offer discounts on game days or when your team wins.
Positive Thinking Day
Working Parents Day
Voter Registration Day – Fourth Tuesday in September
They say a relaxed mind is a creative mind, but it’s hard to stay relaxed when you’re running a business—let alone in September when everyone’s switching gears. Lucky for you though, there’s a slew of events and themes in September that you can use for easy and creative marketing. And I’m not just talking Labor Day or Back to School….
Good Neighbor Day
And since this day happens at the end of the month, you can run a countdown series all month long.
Read a Book Day
National Working Parents Day falls on September 16. If your audience includes working parents, humanize your brand and acknowledge their hard work. And don’t forget about your parent employees!
International Day of Charity
American Business Women’s Day
International Day of Peace
Good Neighbor Day, on September 28, is a good time to do some outreach across your Instagram, LinkedIn, or geographically local network. Acknowledge fellow neighboring businesses on social media to encourage a sense of community, or come up with a contest where followers or employees can nominate good neighbors for a grand prize.
Love People Day
Publish Google posts
One final idea: Send out a September newsletter
- Run an email-exclusive summer clearance promo to boost engagement.
- Include an inspirational quote for Positive Thinking Day.
- Let customers know if you’ve changed your hours for fall.
- Provide some of your most helpful blog posts for staying somewhat focused before the long Labor Day weekend.
Stand out this fall with these free & easy September marketing ideas
Care for Kids Day
Ready for even more ideas?
HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day
September marketing holidays and national days (full list)
Day of the Programmer – 256th Day of the Year
Hug and High 5 Day *
Hopefully these September marketing ideas and examples have given you some material to work with for your blog, social media profiles, websites, and other free marketing channels.
September 5 is the International Day of Charity. Choose a local charity to support and get your employees involved, whether in person or virtually.
We’ve got plenty more with these 31 Easy Back-to-School Marketing Ideas That Work for Any Business.
So August is actually the official National Back to School Month, but who are we kidding. Any type of business can participate in the back to school season. You can:
Wife Appreciation Day – Third Sunday in September
Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses Day
Or, if you’re already supporting a charity, feature them on your blog or social media profiles and invite your followers to support them as well.
For more awesome ideas, check out these Labor Day Social Media Posts, Promotions, & Marketing Ideas To Celebrate.
You could also tie it in nicely with the back-to-school theme, like with the example below:
Gay Men’s HIV/AIDS Awareness Day – Last Friday in September
For a year’s worth of marketing ideas, check out this marketing calendar template from LOCALiQ.
National Hispanic Heritage Month, which actually runs from September 15 – October 15, is a time to celebrate the history, culture, and contributions of Latinx and Hispanic Americans. Here are some ways to recognize it in your marketing:
Responsible Dog Ownership Day – Third Saturday in September
Grateful Patient Day
Family Health and Fitness Day USA– Last Saturday in September
Car Free Day
Patriot Day and Day of Service and Remembrance
Day of Encouragement
Professional House Cleaners Day
This day has been recognized around the world every September 21 since 1981. Post an inspiring quote or image, participate in a fundraiser, or run a little peace sale like Niji Nursery did:
Gymnastics Day– Third Saturday in September
Food Bank Day– First Friday in September
This day is dedicated to the 2,977 victims of September 11. Here are some ways to show your support:
Pet Memorial Day – Second Sunday in September
There are several ways to engage your audience and your employees with cause-based marketing in the name of childhood cancer awareness. You could:
Just One Human Family Day*
Your business doesn’t necessarily have to be in an industry directly tied to any of the September awareness causes. Here are some ideas for incorporating September causes into creative, low-budget marketing.
Hug Your Boss Day – Changes Annually
Air Force Birthday
Kids Take Over The Kitchen Day
National Read a Book Day is a creative way for preschools, tutors, and other education-oriented businesses to market themselves. If your business isn’t related to education, read a book related to your industry and share your insights and learnings on your blog or social media profiles.
Reffering back to my intro, yes—National Talk Like a Pirate Day is a thing and it occurs on September 19. But I’ll let you come up your own ideas for that day (I am THIS close to throwing in a pirate pun). Let’s talk about some of the many other special days of September.
Our friends at LOCALiQ share some great September newsletter ideas, but here are just a few:
Within your Google My Business account, you can create posts that publish directly to your listing about special offers and promotions. These posts will appear whenever your listing appears on Google Search and Google Maps.
Celiac Disease Awareness Day
Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
Women in business are a force to be reckoned with in today’s economy. This holiday occurs on September 22.
National Wilderness Month celebrates the anniversary of the Wilderness Act, which was pivotal in the conservation of American land and the creation of national parks. Here are some ways to use it in your marketing:
Bald is Beautiful Day
Day of Forgiveness
Beer Lover’s Day
Talk Like A Pirate Day
Cheese Pizza Day
IT Professionals Day– Third Tuesday in September
Opening night for the NFL falls in September. Celebrate the season opener with some creative marketing for your business. Here are some ideas:
Labor Day – First Monday in September
Lazy Mom’s Day – First Friday in September
No Rhyme (Nor Reason) Day
Autumnal Equinox – Changes Annually
Positive Thinking Day falls on September 13 every year and never gets any less versatile. Any business can use this holiday for just about any reason: to cheer up, motivate, encourage, compliment, thank, help, inspire, or [insert any positive verb your heart desires here]. Dentists can connect this to smiles, physical therapists to recovery, interior designers to decorating, and the list goes on.
Online Learning Day
You may also be interested in using any of these 157 authentic fall hashtags.
The most efficient way to improve your local online presence is by optimizing your Google Business Profile.
There are plenty of opportunities to be proactive with diversity, equity, and inclusion this month. In addition to the ones featured below, there’s also Love People Day, Gay Men’s HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, and Intergeneration Month.
This is also a good time to give back to your community by reading a book to children or the elderly. Volunteering is not only a honorable thing to do, it will make you feel good and as a bonus, likely increase brand awareness in your local market.
World Beard Day – First Saturday in September
Drink Beer Day
Research Administrator Day
Brave Day– Fourth Friday in September
With September being Food Safety Month, this is an opportunity for health specialists and restaurants to promote their services, publicize their best practices, and reassure customers.
Puppy Mill Awareness Day – Third Saturday in September
For more monthly marketing ideas, browse our collection…
Tailgating Day – First Saturday in September
Tackle Kids Cancer Day
Working Parents Day
Swap Ideas Day
Family Day – Fourth Monday in September
If it weren’t for Labor Day, the first Monday of September would potentially be the worst Monday of the year. Here are some ideas to try out:
Celebrate Bisexuality Day
Be Late For Something Day