Aim for quality, not quantity–choose 3-6 trending hashtags that are relevant to your content.
What is the FYP on TikTok?
As engagement increases your chances of getting on the FYP, you should post when your audience is online and ready to interact.
Try creating curiosity-piquing captions like “Wait to see what happens at the end”. This could boost views and completion rates. You could also ask a question to spark viewers’ interest. Or tease the information you’re about to reveal.
What’s so great about the FYP?
However you craft your hooks, make sure they’re personalized for your audience. This will help increase engagement and your chances of hitting TikTok’s FYP.
Collaborations expand your reach, and if your partner shows up on the FYP, you’ll benefit too. You can collaborate with creators in many ways, including duets and Stitches (we show you how to Stitch on TikTok here).
- Gain more followers: The FYP is the first thing users see when they open the app, so it provides enormous exposure. And it’s particularly advantageous if you want to market to Gen Z audiences and Millennials, as close to 70% of its user base is under the age of 39.
TikTok cares about completion rates. Basically, that’s how many people watch your video to the very end. The more viewers that do so, the more likely your content is to get on the For You Page.
- Earn money: With more TikTok exposure comes more TikTok followers and more sales. And once you reach the 10,000 follower milestone, you can also start making money from your videos with the TikTok Creator Fund.
- Win sponsorships: Once the algorithm starts pushing your content out to a broader audience, you’ll start to be recognized as an authority in your niche. This could lead to paid sponsorships.
- Make sales for your company: Landing on the FYP will help you get more follows and likes as well as increase brand awareness. And that can quickly translate into more sales for your company.
- Build your online presence: Once you’ve achieved FYP status, you can start using TikTok to redirect traffic to your other platforms and build your overall online presence.
8 ways to get on TikTok’s FYP
Users can search for specific audio clips, sounds, and effects in the app. By using trending audio clips in your video content, you can boost your likes, comments, and views.
6. Use trending audio clips or video effects to boost discoverability
The algorithm TikTok uses to select content for its FYP remains shrouded in mystery. However, there are several strategies you can employ to improve your chances of winning a starring role on the FYP stage.
Videos can be up to one minute long, but the theory is that making your videos as short as possible will increase their chances of being watched to the end. But again, quality is king. If they are short, make sure they are still fun, interesting, and engaging. Your main aim should be boosting their chances of likes and shares.
For help choosing hashtags, search for keywords relevant to your niche and see what hashtags the most popular videos are using; or you can even rely on basic keyword research from your SEO efforts.
Using trending hashtags makes your content more likely to be picked up by the algorithm and, therefore, boosts your chances of hitting the FYP. Just like Instagram hashtags, TikTok hashtags categorize your content and increase your discoverability.
Experiment with different lengths to find what works best for you.
7. Write short, interesting captions
It’s simply not enough to post great content on TikTok and hope users will start following you. You need to get in front of large audiences and at the top of your prospects’ minds—and landing on the FYP can get you there.
Firstly, your video and audio quality must be top-notch. Most smartphones offer HD video, so it’s easy to create high-resolution videos without a big budget.
There’s no surefire formula for landing your content on the TikTok FYP, and the algorithm is constantly changing. But social media marketing trends indicate that TikTok is becoming a major player, so you must be ready to maximize its potential.
8. Use a hook to draw in your audience
Music plays a significant role in TikTok’s videos—think of music and sounds as hashtags.
Here are a few killer ways to begin your hooks that have been proven to increase views:
- Want to know the secrets to…
- I’m about to reveal to you…
- The biggest mistake people make when…
So how will you know when the best times are?
Set your sights on TikTok’s For You Page
And you can save them as favorites to use later when you’re feeling inspired.
- Consistently post at the most optimal time
- Use trending hashtags
- Post unique (and better) content
- Create short, engaging videos
- Collaborate with influencers
- Use trending audio clips or video effects
- Write short, interesting captions
- Use a hook to draw in your audience
About the author
To get started, identify the best TikTokers and influencers for your campaign and schedule some time to chat with them, over the phone, email, or even web-based conferencing.